Inspired by our in-house nutritional therapist, Alice Yeates, here is a simple and nutritious recipe for a delicious vegetarian side dish.
Selection of seasonal root vegetables; squash, beetroot, leaks, turnip, sweet potato, carrot
1 red onion
1 white onion
3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp tahini
1/2 tbsp of hot water and 2 tablespoons of cold water
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar “with the mother” (such as from Biona or Aspalls)
30g pine nuts
1. Preheat your oven to 175° (fan oven) or Gas Mark 3
2. Peel and chop all the vegetables and onion into medium sized chunks and place into a large roasting tin with the olive oil and garlic. Toss all together until well-coated with oil, and add salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for approx 40 mins until the vegetables have reached the desired softness and are nice and brown. Depending on the vegetables, some (eg. beetroot, squash) might take longer than others, so start these first with the onions and garlic.
4. To make dressing, put the tahini into a bowl and add the hot water. Mix well and then add the cold water until you get a lovely smooth paste. Add in the olive oil and then the cider vinegar. The mixture will try to separate, but stirring vigorously will bring it back into a smooth paste. Stir in the pine nuts and black pepper.
5. Place the roasted vegetables in a serving dish and drizzle the dressing over and serve.
Can be eaten hot or even cold the next day!