With the festive season nearly upon us, it's time to start thinking about your canapé and cocktail game. Here are two very impressive but very easy recipes that will really get you and your guests into the Christmas spirit!
PRAWN COCKTAIL JACKETS
500g-1kg baby new potatoes - 2 potatoes per person
2 tbsp olive oil
large pinch of flaked sea salt
100g soured cream
50g cooked prawns or crayfish - finely diced (optional)
1 tbsp capers
1 tsp sriracha or tomato sauce
squeeze of lemon
1 tbsp of fresh dill, chives and parsley - finely chopped
ground black pepper
salmon roe (optional)
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan. Toss the potatoes with the oil and sea salt in a large baking tray and roast for 45 mins to 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and check for seasoning. Depending on how spicy you like it you can add more sriracha. If you want a veggie option, just leave out the prawns.
3. Allow potatoes to cool for 10-15 mins, then cut a cross in each top and pinch the base to open a little. Add a spoonful of the prawn and sour cream mix.
4. Squeeze lemon all over, some ground black pepper and a sprinkling of dill.
5. For a lavish canapé, top each one with a little salmon roe.
The King's Ginger
Champagne, Sparkling Wine etc.
Thinly sliced orange or orange peel
Method 1. Pour a generous measure of The King's Ginger into a Champagne coup or flute.
2. Add chilled Champagne/Sparkling Wine to taste.
3. Top with a bit of thinly sliced orange or orange peel.